Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Greenhouse Myth

I have been doing some searching on the web about the greenhouse effect because I never understood how it worked. Something never quite sat right with all that stuff I had to sit through in school. It never made sense from a logical standpoint--ever.

The reason why I never fully got it is because of what is happening on the moon. It's hundreds of degrees warmer in the sun than it is in the shade on the moon and it has no atmosphere. It's got to be a part of the equation.

It turns out that my hunch was right.

The atmosphere acts kind of like a big giant pot of water. It enables convection. Unlike a greenhouse which is a barrier to convection. In short, the atmosphere allows for the transfer of heat over a wider area. That's why you don't burn up on a sunny day or freeze to death at night.

No comments: